Monday, March 28, 2011

VIII

The Saturday shoot went very well. It was cloudy for the entire shoot and didn’t begin to rain until we were all wrapped. I was even surprised we got done on time at 4 pm without Andre. We followed the shooting schedule pretty closely and helped each other out.

For the shoot I operated the dolly (wheelchair). It was my first time doing that. It was fun. I had to work on pacing and walking backwards.

Our long take shot was of Timmy starting at Deloach and walking towards the camera along the “mini Chancellor’s Walk” between the library and Kennen. As he walked random people would come up to him and change his costume or pelt him with water balloons or tennis balls, oh yeah and there was a monkey. We took the whole hour and fifteen minutes to set up props and block out the action. Then in the last minute we shot the thing. After the four or five practices, we had a good single take.

After the shoot I took the camera to the black box to process. I’m glad I got to do this because I don’t know if I will ever again, so I’m glad I got to do it once. Andy and his group were finishing processing before I got to the room. He stuck around and walked me through the process. Working in the dark was hard because we only had the one red safe light and it doesn’t have much of a range. I dunked the film in the developer and he images began to appear. I thought it was cool how I could watch the film develop from seemingly nothing. After fixing the film I rinsed the strip a few times and then took a look at the frames. They really developed well; the images were nice and sharp. I could make out the building and Timmy.

I helped Barrett set up the digital camera for the video transfer and then went out to help Group 3. Theirs was simpler and needed less people. After that we came in and loaded the projector and saw our film come to life. It looked amazing. This was the first time I have shot on film so projecting it was a fun experience. The take did cut off before we wanted but that’s fine because what we have works. We watched each group as they projected theirs and each one looked cool. I can’t wait until we finish and polish them up in Final Cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment