Monday, March 21, 2011

VII

There are a number of ways to create a film without the use of a camera, we have used a few in class. But one of the main ways is through digital or computer means. PhotoShop or AfterEffects allow an artist to tell a story without a camera. Also a scanner isn’t a camera in the sense that it looks at an object line by line and then recreates each line into a picture, instead of simply taking in the entire image at once.

As far as story, I feel I could tell a normal story in a different way with cameraless filmmaking or if I’m feeling really clever make a story up surrounding the reason to make a film without a camera. I am leaning toward making an animation of a man who can change forms based on his environment.

For example: the man is walking in the hot sun, the world melts and he swims in the liquid. To move around better he grows fins. He swims deeper until he reaches the bottom of the “ocean” and begins falling through the air. His fins turn into wings and he grows feathers. He lands in a tree and sleeps. A blizzard comes in and to keep warm the man grows a thick coat of fur. Snow sticks to the fur and he becomes a giant snowball and rolls down a mountain growing larger and larger. He crashes at the bottom and the sun comes out melting the snow creating a pond. The fury man walks out of the water onto the land, now to hot under the sun he sheds the fur and walks off.

It sounds like a long process but I feel each part will only be a few seconds long. Only long enough to recognize what he’s doing and then move on to the next step in the sequence. I think it’s a simple story with some interesting twists. And depending on the mystery prop maybe something new can be added to the story to make it even more crazy and fun.

I’m looking forward to this project and a way to expand my filmmaking repertoire. I think I will use a combination of techniques through scanning textures and images to using computer animation software like AfterEffects. I also feel sound will play an important role in portraying how the character is feeling and the environments he’s passing through.

No comments:

Post a Comment